Monday, December 10, 2007

Quests and Discoveries

Went to the West Hollywood market today and then Grand Central Market, looking for shallots and dried porcini mushrooms and not finding either. So I've bumped the beet reduction sauce a little farther down on the menu for this week and threw together a curry with potatoes and cauliflower for tonight. Hopefully the market at 7th and Figueroa on Thursday will have what I need, cuz otherwise I'm going to give up and go to Ralph's.

I really need to get a camera to take some pictures of the markets I like and the dishes I make. But for now, believe me when I say that Grand Central Market is pretty amazing. I'm going to take some time and learn about the different chilies available, and all the Mexican spices and produce, including different varieties of dried mango, tamarind, and tomatillos. I also need to spend some time at the stand that specializes in mole and learn how to use that.

As a chronic dish-reuser, either from some sense of saving the water that it takes to wash them, or a fundamental laziness, or some combination of the two, I discovered something very interesting. I made myself a small PBJ sandwich and noticed that it had a little kick. I realized that this was because I had used the same spoon for the peanut butter and jelly as I had for the chili powder in the curry. It's really good! So I made another half-sandwich, this time with about 3/4 teaspoon chili powder. I recommend it highly.

No comments: